Many of us make health-related resolutions, such as to lose weight, stop smoking or join the neighborhood health club. While it is common to set high goals, experts say that setting smaller goals could do more for our health. Here are some tips for a holistic lifestyle and for those who want to lose weight naturally:
1. Make a commitment to stop gaining weight. Even if you gain just a pound or two every year, the extra weight adds up quickly and it accumulates. It’s time to stop giving yourself excuses.
[DFR::diet-defense-ultimate-hunger-blocker-natural–6351|align_left_1]2. Set a goal to lose just 5 to 10 percent of your current weight. The health benefits are huge-lower blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides.
3. Don’t skip your breakfast. According to experts, breakfast eaters tend to weigh less and have better diets overall. For a filling and nutrition-packed breakfast, top whole grain cereals with fresh fruit slices and low-fat or fat-free milk.
4. Switch three grain servings each day to whole grain. If you’re like the average American, you eat less than one whole grain serving a day.
5. Have at least one green salad every day. Eating a green salad (with low-fat or fat-free dressing) is nutritious and may help you eat less during the meal. It also counts toward your five daily cups of vegetables and fruits.[DFR::455600136-7669-ss|align_right_1]
6. Trim the fat. Fat has a lot of calories, and calories count. Purchase lean meats, eat poultry without the skin, switch to lower-fat cheeses, use a nonstick pan with only a dab of oil or butter.
7. Take time to rest, breathe and sleep enough. Put on your MP3 players and go for a walk and give your mind a mental break. Losing weight naturally should not just focus on your body and diet but the overall wellness of your mind and spirit too.